iKIDS / KID INSIGHT / MOBILE / WEB
According to The NPD Group’s new Interactive Gaming Toys report, 40% of parents in the US own at least one toys-to-life franchise and have spent an average of US$131 on this gaming segment in the past six months.
BROADCASTING / COMPANIES / CONSUMER PRODUCTS / NEWS / RETAIL / TV
In a period of uncertainty involving new CRTC broadcast regulations and the recent loss of its Disney license, Canada’s DHX Media posted record Q3 fiscal results driven by its digital distribution and TV businesses.
BLOGS / Out of the Sandbox
The founder of Columbia University’s Digital Storytelling Lab gives us an inside look at his work at the University and how the Lab is designing stories for the 21st Century.
- Disney set to expand its presence in China with its first bricks-and-mortar store in the country (Bloomberg)
- Lego prodco Animal Logic picks Vancouver for its new animation studio (Variety)
- Will Oculus’ pre-E3 event dig deeper into its upcoming consumer hardware plans? (Tech Crunch)
- Following Target’s exit, Walmart posts higher sales in Canada for Q1 (Globe and Mail)
DHX Brands has inked an exclusive global publishing deal with HarperCollins Children’s Books for new preschool series Twirlywoos from Ragdoll Productions.
Nelvana Enterprises has added five softline partners to its growing list of licensees for new preschool property Little Charmers.
- FAO Schwarz to close flagship New York store in July (CBC)
- Why YouTube had to become a better video site to rival HBO, Netflix (Fast Company)
- As more consumers shift to streaming media, demand continues to rise for OTT services (TechCrunch)
- YouTube Kids under fire as watchdog groups catalog all the grown-up content found using the app’s search function (The Guardian)