The good, bad and ugly of pan-Euro licensing deals, discount-tier retailers and German grocers are just a few of the topics attendees will be buzzing about at Europe’s biggest licensing event this month. Read about them here first.
Along with pulling in US$3.3 million from YouTube for the full year, DHX saw 2014 fiscal earnings jump up by 300% from 2013 numbers.
BROADCASTER / BROADCASTING / NEWS / PEOPLE MOVES / TV
In an effort to broaden its programming focus and maximize co-viewing, Discovery/Hasbro kidnet The Hub Network will become Discovery Family Channel as of October 13, with Discovery and kids television vet Tom Cosgrove as GM under the leadership of Discovery group president Henry Schleiff.
Milan, Italy’s Atlantyca Entertainment has purchased the distribution rights to stereoscopic 3D kids series Bolts & Blip from the show’s producers’ Redrover and ToonBox.
The initial line-up of toys for the Hoho Rights property will include plush and blankets, before expanding into games and playsets.
- China waging war on Japan’s famous blue fat cat Doraemon? (New York Times)
- Halloween spending in US to see big bump this year (MediaPost)
- An uphill battle: Netflix’s struggle in France (L.A. Times)
- Meanwhile in Canada, has regulator CRTC picked a fight with Netflix that it can’t win? (Globe and Mail)
- Japan’s SoftBank in talks to buy DreamWorks (Wall Street Journal)