Career at a Glance:
- Worked as a television program development consultant at Warner Amex Satellite Entertainment; followed by
- Vice president at Ogilvy & Mather, working with clients such as General Foods, AT&T and TWA; followed by
- Director of advertising for Kraft General Foods, where she was responsible for advertising, brand strategy and positioning; followed by
- Executive vice president at Lancit Media Entertainment. In September 1996, Discovery Communications purchased a minority equity stake in Lancit Media, and Kaplan became responsible for managing the relationship between the two companies.
The New Job:
- Responsible for overseeing all children’s programming for Discovery Networks, including the Sunday morning block Discovery Channel Kids; The Learning Channel’s six-hour weekday block, Ready, Set, Learn!; Discovery Kids, one of Discovery Network’s four new digital programming services; as well as overseeing the ongoing development of a children’s programming block on Animal Planet. For Discovery Enterprises Worldwide, Kaplan will work on the development of children’s products and services, including product licensing for books, home videos, multimedia and on-line.
‘Discovery has done a wonderful job of opening up the real world to adult viewers. Opening up that same world to kids-capturing the excitement, the wonder and the experience of discovery in a fun, offbeat way that kids will respond to-is an enormous creative and business challenge and one of the few untapped, truly grand opportunities in television.’