Driven by Disney’s vast portfolio of properties, a new LIMA-commissioned report reveals that the character/entertainment sector topped global retail sales of licensed merchandise in 2014 with a 44% market share – or US$107 billion of a US$241.5-billion total.
PEOPLE MOVES / TV
More than a month after Zodiak Media and Banijay Group confirmed they were in merger talks, the France-based media companies have today agreed to unite, creating a global producer-distributor with a footprint in 18 territories and revenues surpassing US$1 billion.
With the rollout of Wishenpoof on August 14 to US, UK and German Amazon Prime members, and a renewal for Creative Galaxy, show creator Angela Santomero is on a roll with the studio.
What do you get when you combine The Lego Movie with The Simpsons, Scooby-Doo, The Wizard of Oz and more? The answer is Lego Dimensions, an upcoming toys-to-life video game due out in September. Wendy Smolen talks to one of the game’s producers Mark Warburton about setting new rules – and then breaking all of them.
Former Sanrio president and COO Janet Hsu will be taking the reins at L.A.-based Saban Brands next month as the company’s first CEO.
- Conflict, or no interest? Why YouTube stars are giving Facebook the cold shoulder (The Wall Street Journal)
- Worlds colliding: Disney taps Game of Thrones writer to pen live-action Sword in the Stone remake (The Guardian)
- Maker Studios to shutter pioneering online video site Blip (Variety)
- US program kidSAFE explores COPPA compliance and startups in new free webinar (kidSAFE Seal Program)
With a monthly reach of nearly 250 million kids, UK-based digital marketing platform SuperAwesome is positioned for global growth following a US$7-million financing round.
Thai and South Korean broadcasters have picked up a trio of kids toons from Singapore-based producer/distributor Bomanbridge Media.
- With US$5 billion set aside, Amazon sets sights on India with an eye to making it the biggest market outside the US (The Hollywood Reporter)
- Race, gender, socio-economic differences: Are children’s apps diverse enough? (The Guardian)
- Why the answer to all of the world’s problems may reside in a STEM education (Techcrunch)
- How Degrassi: Next Class on Netflix will benefit Generation Z (Variety)