iKIDS / MOBILE / TV / WEB
In a highly anticipated presentation event hosted by renowned comedian Allana Harkin, the global kids entertainment industry saluted the best work in children’s television and digital media at the annual Kidscreen Awards. Read on for a full list of this year’s winners.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS / GEAR / iKIDS / TV
With two decades under its belt, Kidscreen looks at where the kids entertainment industry is headed next with the help of industry analysts, a little number-crunching and some nifty VR headsets.
iKIDS / KID INSIGHT / MOBILE / WEB
A new study from Sesame Workshop’s Joan Ganz Cooney Center reveals that under-connected internet access among low-income American families is having a far-reaching impact when it comes to education and economic opportunities.
Tricon Kids & Family has secured an international co-pro agreement with Savoir-Fer and REAZ for Me, Myself & My Selfie, a new CGI-animated comedy short-format series.
- The more things change…Amazon wants to bring back the physical bookstore in a very big way (The Wall Street Journal)
- Security flaws discovered in Fisher-Price connected toys raise more red flags following VTech hack (CBC)
- YouTube to add support for 360-degree live-streamed video (Digital TV Europe)
- Mind Candy brings a gaming exec on-board as its new CEO (Games Industry)
L.A.-based Saban Brands has named popular artist/designer and Julius the Monkey creator Paul Frank as the company’s director of creative development.
With Mattel’s sales up 1% to US$6.28 billion for fiscal 2015, the toy giant has completed the acquisitions of tablet-maker Fuhu and smart baby-monitor maker Sproutling.
Following a significant capital investment, Temple Street Productions has formed a new parent company called Boat Rocker Media that will oversee several new lines of business, including Boat Rocker Animation.
With more than 200 million books sold worldwide over the past 40 years, the Little Critter franchise from venerable children’s author Mercer Mayer is being developed as a global multiplatform entertainment property with the help of ex-Cartoon Network prez Stuart Snyder.
- The new A-list: Google parent company Alphabet overtakes Apple as the world’s most valuable company (Bloomberg)
- How a 30% increase to France’s TRIP tax scheme is raising the bar for animation and VFX services (Variety)
- Augmented reality startup Magic Leap is teaching us all a lesson in successful VC funding (Wired)
- This is quite possibly the youngest boy band ever (Mashable)