CONSUMER PRODUCTS / GEAR / iKIDS
Following a publishing deal with Penguin US earlier this fall, Disney Infinity is set to get its own standalone magazine in the UK courtesy of Egmont, which is consciously building a boy-skewing publishing portfolio based on gaming brands.
GEAR / iKIDS / KID INSIGHT / MOBILE
With tablets dominating US Black Friday sales last weekend, a takeover appears to be in full swing. Perpetuating the trend are new numbers from PBS Kids that indicate tablets are tops on parents’ holiday tech purchases list, edging out videogame consoles by more than 10%.
Featured iKids / GEAR / iKIDS / KID INSIGHT / MOBILE / SOCIAL / TV / WEB
Knowing what makes today’s post-millennial kids tick is crucial for kids content producers given how fast the entertainment industry is evolving. Thankfully, a new study from Nickelodeon entitled The Story Of Me explores just how different this emerging generation of kids is compared to the the millennials before them in terms of technology useage and appetite for content.
“We currently don’t have a broadcasting platform, so it’s unique,” says DHX Media COO and president Steven DeNure on the proposed US$160 million cash deal with Bell that will place Canada’s Family Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior in his company’s hands.
- Gobble, gobble. Check out these top 10 facts you didn’t know about A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (Mashable)
- Could a new petition push Marvel to remove its gender classifications in its online merchandise store? (The Hollywood Reporter)
- A full 700 million of the world’s 1.2 billion gamers are playing online games (Venture Beat)
- Facebook swears it’s cool among teens (Wired)
With global sales of collectible plush YooHoo & Friends toys exceeding 22 million units, German brand management and media company m4e AG has acquired all licensing rights for German-speaking territories with plans to develop a broad licensing program.
- President Obama wants to keep entertainment jobs in the US, but he doesn’t address VFX protest of foreign subsidies (The Hollywood Reporter)
- Mattel shuffles around its European marketing strategy (Advertising Age)
- On teaching kids to be thankful (Slate)
- The Beastie Boys vs. Goldieblox drama ensues (All Things D)