It’s commonplace these days for major animated blockbusters to be preceded by a branded app. DreamWorks Animation is putting a spin on things with its Turbo Racing League app that is currently offering up to US$1 million in shell-out cash prizes.
INTERACTIVE / PEOPLE MOVES
Digital gaming vet Jack Sorensen, who has played a hand in managing Star Wars and Pixar game franchises, will be at the helm of Saban Brands’ mobile gaming division The Playforge as president.
BROADCASTING / CONSUMER PRODUCTS / INTERACTIVE / TV
Halifax-based DHX Media, The Jim Henson Company, Nat Geo Kids, Corus and BabyFirst Plus are among the first creators of paid YouTube channels.The move puts the Google-owned online platform closer to acheiving an affordable a-la-carte lineup of premium content and in a better position to compete on the SVOD front.
Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) has commissioned mobile developer Ruckus Media to launch a new station-branded iOS mobile – and monetization – platform for its growing interactive audience.
Disney is looking to keep kids connected to its flagship princess and pirate brands this summer by expanding Sofia the First to daily telecast, debuting new episodes of Jake and the Never Land Pirates and making this content available via its WATCH video platform.
Netflix has taken its relationship with Disney one step further by picking up the US rights to a total of five Disney Junior and Disney XD shows, including Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
- Disney shares big plans for Big Hero 6, its first animated film inspired by a Marvel comic (Los Angeles Times)
- When Hollywood stars align with Kickstarter (Variety)
- The facts of young life: Time magazine uses data to explore the narcissism of the millennial generation (Time)
- Can you cozy up in front of a tablet? (Forbes)
Disney is amplifying its preschool mobile offerings with a new Doc McStuffins iOS app, as well as new additions to the Disney Junior Appisode lineup.
- Rumor has it Microsoft will buy Nook Media for US$1 billion (TechCrunch)
- As movie-going faces a transformation in the US and Europe, media companies have their eyes on these 13 emerging markets (The Hollywood Reporter)
- Anthropology 101: Have Americans botched the whole parenting thing? (The Huffington Post)
- After a successful Kickstarter run, Android-based game console Ouya receives more backing (All Things D)