Nickelodeon’s Jules Borkent talks about the strategy behind his new commission from The Netherlands, The Ludwigs.
iKIDS / MOBILE / TV
Ofcom’s latest media report finds that tablets are increasingly being used as a default entertainment screen, particularly among younger children in the UK.
- Toys ‘R’ Us UK ditches gendered categories on its website (The Telegraph)
- Justin Bieber moves past One Direction again to break Spotify streaming record (Forbes)
- Why Gravity Falls showrunner Alex Hirsch is ending the hit Disney XD series on his own terms (Variety)
- Parents’ concerns over in-app purchasing is on the rise in the UK (Gamasutra)
Marking the 90th anniversary of the first publication of Winnie-the-Pooh, Egmont Publishing has revealed that in October 2016 it is publishing The Best Bear in All the World, an official sequel to the original and its subsequent title The House at Pooh Corner.
Indie media producer and rights owner KomixxMedia Group’s stop-motion animation series Toby’s Travelling Circus is headed for 70 million US homes via American Spanish-language network Vme TV.
- This tech will send follow-up ads to people’s phones based on the TV commercials they’re watching (Fast Company)
- Corus steps back from pay TV, following US$158-million deal that gives Bell Media exclusive rights to all HBO content (Globe and Mail)
- Are these the best child-friendly smartphones and cell phones on the market? (Digital Trends)
- Lessons in Animaniacs: How the ’90s toon had kids learning and laughing all at once (Uproxx)
- Through the use of photos, app maker Toca Boca discovers some universal themes about today’s kids (Toca Boca)
Michael Smith, CEO of Yip Yap, thinks the last thing kids need is their own smartphone. So his startup designed a Bluetooth-enabled device that connects to parents’ phones instead. Smith tells iKids about Pipsqueak’s plans to face a crowded market through innovative hardware and software.
Halifax-based DHX Media has secured seven international broadcast and VOD deals for its 52 x 11-minute animated comedy Endangered Species.