iKIDS / KID INSIGHT / MOBILE / TV / WEB
Nielsen findings re-affirm traditional TV as the favored platform for kids, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that viewing habits haven’t changed as time-shifted content and tablet proliferation continue to make marks on the small screen.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS / iKIDS / MOBILE
During its peak, the Angry Birds creator was pulling in revenues upwards of US$200 million. Now, with rapid internal growth belying consumer demand, the Finnish company will lay off 260 employees in a corporate restructuring.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS / GEAR / iKIDS / WEB
The girl-skewing interactive toy market is making room for Flipsies, VTech’s new line of collectible dolls that are designed to encourage both online and offline play.
There’s been a ton of discourse surrounding the Sesame Workshop-HBO deal, but blogger David Kleeman wants to discuss an aspect that’s received less attention: why does HBO – known best for adult series – want a flagship children’s television property?
“Personalized books have been in the market for 40 years, but they were never taken seriously…,” says Lost My Name co-founder Asi Sharabi, whose company is using US$9 million in funding from Google Ventures to change customized content.
- Changing customer behaviors could signal a shift in priorities for Walmart (National Post)
- Fox evolves the interruptive ad model by giving on-demand users the option to skip ads before MasterChef Junior (Variety)
- A Disney distortion becomes art: Banksy unveils his 2.5-acre Dismaland exhibition in England (The Guardian)
- Content creators get 70% of ad revenues on Comcast’s new streaming portal – 15% more than what YouTube and Facebook offer (Wall Street Journal)
Disney is heading straight to the heart of tweendom with the launch of Star Darlings, a new original wish-themed girls multiplatform property from the minds of Frank Zappa’s son Ahmet and his wife, Shana Muldoon Zappa.
- Strong demand within signature categories like kids and style – and a whole lot of digital sales – lead to a stellar quarter for Target (Forbes)
- Google to open its next YouTube Space in India (Tech Crunch)
- LeapFrog launches its first Android tablet (Venture Beat)
- Will big brand partnerships drive Angry Birds 2′s momentum? (alistdaily)