iKIDS / KID INSIGHT / MOBILE / TV / WEB
Nielsen findings re-affirm traditional TV as the favored platform for kids, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that viewing habits haven’t changed as time-shifted content and tablet proliferation continue to make marks on the small screen.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS / iKIDS / MOBILE
During its peak, the Angry Birds creator was pulling in revenues upwards of US$200 million. Now, with rapid internal growth belying consumer demand, the Finnish company will lay off 260 employees in a corporate restructuring.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS / GEAR / iKIDS / WEB
The girl-skewing interactive toy market is making room for Flipsies, VTech’s new line of collectible dolls that are designed to encourage both online and offline play.
- PEZ candies, in all of their glory, are headed to the big screen (Time)
- Is this an untouched market? A new social network wants its users to post unedited, unfiltered content (Springwise)
- Panorama Education, which uses surveys to understand students’ needs, just pocketed US$12 million in funding (TechCrunch)
- Gaming is mainstream, so how can marketers best reach this young, affluent consumer base? (Advertising Age)
Indie brand manager Coolabi Group has secured a deal with Penguin Group US that will see the children’s book publisher distribute a picture book in the US and Canada based on the iconic British children’s IP Clangers.
Viacom alum Tanya Haider is among two new hires joining the ranks at Sesame Workshop, where she will work closely with a slew of former Nickelodeon execs – including Sesame Workshop CEO Jeffrey Dunn.
Disney Consumer Products and global retailer Uniqlo are taking their six-year relationship to the next level with the launch of a new clothing line and marketing campaign that features characters from the Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars vaults.
- Playstation 4 has been good to Sony’s bottom line (re/code)
- Inside the scarily successful run of Chinese family film Monster Hunt (Los Angeles Times)
- Movie luck: The iconic Up house in Seattle may be spared from the wrecking ball (Mashable)
- Facebook says “billions” of videos are viewed each day, 75% of which are hailing from mobile devices (StreamDaily)
Exactly one month since Disney merged its consumer products and interactive businesses, the mega-division has released Cars Daredevil Garage, a new toy-integrated app that syncs with Mattel’s 2015 line of diecast cars.
L.A.-based Lawless Entertainment has been chosen as the North American licensing, merchandising and publishing agent for Eddie is a Yeti, a new CGI-animated co-production from kids on-demand entertainment service Toon Goggles and Mondo TV.
Driven by Disney’s vast portfolio of properties, a new LIMA-commissioned report reveals that the character/entertainment sector topped global retail sales of licensed merchandise in 2014 with a 44% market share – or US$107 billion of a US$241.5-billion total.