Driven by Disney’s vast portfolio of properties, a new LIMA-commissioned report reveals that the character/entertainment sector topped global retail sales of licensed merchandise in 2014 with a 44% market share – or US$107 billion of a US$241.5-billion total.
PEOPLE MOVES / TV
More than a month after Zodiak Media and Banijay Group confirmed they were in merger talks, the France-based media companies have today agreed to unite, creating a global producer-distributor with a footprint in 18 territories and revenues surpassing US$1 billion.
With the rollout of Wishenpoof on August 14 to US, UK and German Amazon Prime members, and a renewal for Creative Galaxy, show creator Angela Santomero is on a roll with the studio.
- Humor/action mix destined for Han Solo spin-off film with The Lego Movie directors at the helm (Forbes)
- How too much screen time is affecting kids, teens (New York Times)
- Minions on track for a US$100-million+ debut (Variety)
- DreamWorks Animation’s Dragons franchise flies into STEM gaming (Fast Company)
Entertainment One has tapped Toronto, Canada’s Nelvana Enterprises as the exclusive Canadian licensing and brand agent for its hit preschool property Peppa Pig.
- In a surprise move, Disney could be planning a live-action Prince Charming movie (Variety)
- Why LEGO may never find a perfect eco-friendly replacement for its plastic bricks (Wired)
- Mojang shares next steps for Minecraft (The Guardian)
- With Netflix growing globally, more viewers are watching shows across borders (Fortune)
DHX Television’s Family Channel is adding Fresh TV’s new teen performing arts drama to its spring 2016 sked. It’s part of the net’s larger strategy to provide more event-style programming to its core tween viewers during the week.