COMPANIES / CONSUMER PRODUCTS / iKIDS / MOBILE / NEWS / RETAIL / WEB
Disney has combined two of its core business divisions – consumer products and interactive – into a single Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media (DCPI) arm in an effort to better meet changing consumer preferences in a technology-driven marketplace.
BROADCASTING / TV
Turner Broadcasting has bought nearly 450 half hours from Warner Bros. Animation for Boomerang, marking the newly rebranded 24-hour kidsnet’s first-ever exclusive original content deal.
Hasbro’s beloved Jem and the Holograms brand is coming back in all its glittery glory this October, with an extensive consumer products program to support Universal Pictures’ live-action adaptation of the classic 1980s animated series.
- How VOD is changing the economics of primetime viewing (Multichannel)
- Smart wooden dolls allow for physical-digital interactive play without the screen (Fast Company)
- Cut the Rope heads to Hollywood with new Om Nom movie (alistdaily)
- An inside look at the UK’s growing gaming industry (Gamesindustry.biz)
Nickelodeon unveiled today a redesigned NickJr.com with new games and video content, including the digital-first debut of the kidcaster’s brand-new preschool series, Fresh Beat Band of Spies, which will premiere on its linear Nick Jr. channel on June 15.
The Fred Rogers Company has partnered with Candlewick Press for a first-ever Peg + Cat multi-territory publishing program, as well as adding five new licensees to the US program for Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.
- Landmark moves from theme parks to VR experiences (The Hollywood Reporter)
- Family Channel and Netflix get behind Degrassi after TeenNick cancellation (The Toronto Star)
- Study finds educational impact of Sesame Street on par with preschool (The Washington Post)
- How Disney’s franchise strategy is key to its success (Wall Street Journal)
Wicked Cool Toys has cooked up a new licensing deal with Endemol Shine North America, the producers of Fox’s MasterChef Junior TV series, to create a new line of kid-friendly products inspired by the show.
Nickelodeon has announced the nominees for its second-annual Kids’ Choice Sports awards, giving kids in the US a chance to vote online for their favorite athletes in 12 cross-sport categories.
An inaugural global report from the International Licensing Industry Merchandisers’ Association (LIMA) finds that global retail sales of licensed goods hit roughly US$13.4 billion in royalty revenues and US$241.5 billion in retail sales in 2014.