With a worldwide Disney deal in-hand, eOne Family’s CGI co-pro PJ Masks is set to bow September 18 on Disney Junior US. eOne’s Olivier Dumont and Disney EMEA’s Orion Ross give Kidscreen a look inside the preschool superhero IP.
iKIDS / TV / WEB
Maker exec Chris Williams says the Disney XD collaboration speaks to YouTube’s expanding sphere of influence and the ability of its creators to connect with global audiences.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS / iKIDS / WEB
It looks like Hasbro is joining the crowdfunding fun, as the toyco is turning to the power of crowdfunding platform Indiegogo in order to find its next physical party-themed game.
Featured iKids / iKIDS / WEB
This is no ordinary lullabye. The nursery rhyme business on YouTube is a hard-hitting one that’s generating millions of dollars and views for content creators. Following its acquisition by MCN BroadbandTV, YoBoHo and its HooplaKidz channel are poised for major growth. CEO Hitendra Merchant lets iKids in on the plan.
iKIDS / KID INSIGHT / MOBILE / TV / WEB
Nielsen findings re-affirm traditional TV as the favored platform for kids, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that viewing habits haven’t changed as time-shifted content and tablet proliferation continue to make marks on the small screen.
- Why BB-8 may be the Star Wars toy consumers are looking for this holiday season (Wall Street Journal)
- TV nets including Disney and Viacom launch new coalition to measure kids video viewing habits… (Variety)
- …Meanwhile, a third of all TV and video viewing is now watched on-demand (Digital TV Europe)
- Is depriving kids of toys a healthy idea? (The Guardian)
Two 12-year-old girls become mobile moguls in Nickelodeon’s new live-action series, Game Shakers, which is making the apps created in the show available to its viewers in real life.
Television – even at this point in the streaming era – is primarily global by choice and business model. But recently, David Kleeman was stopped short by the question of how the intersection of culture and media works in the mobile app world, and whether it’s even of importance.
- Spielberg’s DreamWorks is parting with Disney, paving the way for a potential distribution deal with Universal (The Hollywood Reporter)
- Australian kids go bananas over ABC’s Curious George cancellation (Mashable)
- Breaking down the effectiveness of long-form, short-form and live-streaming video for Millennials (alistdaily)
- How the digital revolution is changing the way young talent agents do business (Variety)
The Toy Industry Association is on a mission with its new Genius of Play campaign, which strives to educate parents, teachers and toy industry execs about the importance of play. And over the past two weeks, blogger Wendy Smolen dug into what experts in the field have to say about the value of letting loose.
Iftah Ya Simsim, the Arabic adaptation of Sesame Street, will premiere its first new episodes in 25 years this weekend on national TV channels across the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), the Middle East, and North Africa.