COMPANIES / iKIDS / MOBILE / NEWS / SOCIAL / TV / WEB
Making its first move into the kids TV and video space, Swedish app developer Toca Boca has set up a brand-new video division in New York, appointing former Sesame Workshop creative director J Milligan to run the studio as executive producer.
BROADCASTER / BROADCASTING / COMPANIES / NEWS / TV
Disney Channel will make its debut in the Canadian television market on September 1, thanks to a wide-ranging licensing deal that has just closed between Toronto’s Corus Entertainment and Disney ABC Television Group in LA.
BROADCASTING / iKIDS / TV / WEB
In a move that will expand its portfolio of children’s animation and international programming in one fell swoop, American MCN Frederator Networks has acquired two popular preschool series, Cloud Bread and Pom Pom & Friends, from South Korea’s Gangwon Information and Multimedia Corporation (GIMC).
PEOPLE MOVES / TV
The former CEO of Zodiak production house The Foundation is heading up the newly minted Zodiak Kids Studios, with dual operations in the UK and France.
- Disney stock gets US$2-billion boost thanks to new Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer (MarketWatch)
- To battle streaming competitors, Verizon adds slimmer TV channel packages (New York Times)
- Vessel raises close to US$58 million in a new round of funding (Re/code)
- Apple reportedly in talks to launch Apple Pay in Canada (Financial Post)
Shares rose yesterday after Mattel posted a smaller-than-expected loss of 2% in net sales to generate US$922.7 million for the quarter ended March 31. As part of its turnaround strategy, the toyco simultaneously announced a deal with online innovation hub Quirky.
Big brands might be dominating the preschool mobile space at the moment, but take a look at the top educational apps for iPad and you’ll see that many are produced by independent developers.
- DreamWorks moves up Kung Fu Panda 3 movie release by two months (The Wrap)
- Netflix adds 4.9 million new subscribers worldwide in Q1 exceeding expectations (Variety)
- YouTube-inspired teen flick Smosh: The Movie to hit theaters before web (The Hollywood Reporter)
- China becomes world’s largest market for iOS downloads (Gamesindustry.biz)
Motion Pictures has appointed Planeta Junior as its licensing agent in Spain, Portugal, France, Greece, Turkey and Eastern Europe for upcoming animated series, Pumpkin Reports.
Smash hit mobile game Angry Birds is set to take flight, thanks to an agreement between the franchise’s creator Rovio Entertainment and inflight entertainment provider Global Eagle Entertainment (GEE).
Matt Webb, a 25-year kids entertainment veteran and former marketing exec for The Jim Henson Company, has launched a full-service consultancy in the UK called Revelation Entertainment.