Driven by Disney’s vast portfolio of properties, a new LIMA-commissioned report reveals that the character/entertainment sector topped global retail sales of licensed merchandise in 2014 with a 44% market share – or US$107 billion of a US$241.5-billion total.
PEOPLE MOVES / TV
More than a month after Zodiak Media and Banijay Group confirmed they were in merger talks, the France-based media companies have today agreed to unite, creating a global producer-distributor with a footprint in 18 territories and revenues surpassing US$1 billion.
With the rollout of Wishenpoof on August 14 to US, UK and German Amazon Prime members, and a renewal for Creative Galaxy, show creator Angela Santomero is on a roll with the studio.
- Playstation 4 has been good to Sony’s bottom line (re/code)
- Inside the scarily successful run of Chinese family film Monster Hunt (Los Angeles Times)
- Movie luck: The iconic Up house in Seattle may be spared from the wrecking ball (Mashable)
- Facebook says “billions” of videos are viewed each day, 75% of which are hailing from mobile devices (StreamDaily)
Exactly one month since Disney merged its consumer products and interactive businesses, the mega-division has released Cars Daredevil Garage, a new toy-integrated app that syncs with Mattel’s 2015 line of diecast cars.
L.A.-based Lawless Entertainment has been chosen as the North American licensing, merchandising and publishing agent for Eddie is a Yeti, a new CGI-animated co-production from kids on-demand entertainment service Toon Goggles and Mondo TV.
iKids Weekly takes a closer look at the re-launch of classic ’90s educational game Zoombinis. After wading through myriad rights issues, several of the original creators came together to update the property for this generation, soliciting input from longtime fans.
- Toy Talk rolls out Thomas & Friends chatty interactive app (Fast Company)
- Snapchat’s other attempt at monetization: Good old-fashioned merchandising (Digiday)
- Which territories are ripe for licensed toy sales? (Global Toy News)
- A little #TBT: Rating the top voice performances in animated films since Aladdin (Vulture)
Aussie film and TV prodco Galaxy Pop is opening a new office in L.A. this November and will be represented by entertainment management firm The Gotham Group.