iKIDS / KID INSIGHT / MOBILE / TV / WEB
Nielsen findings re-affirm traditional TV as the favored platform for kids, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that viewing habits haven’t changed as time-shifted content and tablet proliferation continue to make marks on the small screen.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS / iKIDS / MOBILE
During its peak, the Angry Birds creator was pulling in revenues upwards of US$200 million. Now, with rapid internal growth belying consumer demand, the Finnish company will lay off 260 employees in a corporate restructuring.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS / GEAR / iKIDS / WEB
The girl-skewing interactive toy market is making room for Flipsies, VTech’s new line of collectible dolls that are designed to encourage both online and offline play.
In celebration of the global retail launch of products from the highly anticipated film Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Disney Store locations will open for midnight madness on Friday, September 4 (Force Friday), and 14 live toy unboxing events will unfold around the world.
It looks like Hasbro is joining the crowdfunding fun, as the toyco is turning to the power of crowdfunding platform Indiegogo in order to find its next physical party-themed game.
- Australian web safety group says under-13′s aren’t emotionally ready for social networks, as 20% of kids fall victim to cyber-bullying (Herald Sun)
- The deep impact of coddling American kids (The Atlantic)
- Can Netflix, a relatively Western phenomenon, survive in a land where free TV still reigns? (Bloomberg)
- In reaching its newest milestone, Facebook draws a billion users every day (BBC)
This is no ordinary lullabye. The nursery rhyme business on YouTube is a hard-hitting one that’s generating millions of dollars and views for content creators. Following its acquisition by MCN BroadbandTV, YoBoHo and its HooplaKidz channel are poised for major growth. CEO Hitendra Merchant lets iKids in on the plan.
The former Tricon exec becomes president of distribution at Temple Street, which also announced it has inked a worldwide content deal with Netflix for tween series Lost & Found Music Studios.
- Sesame Street‘s Maria reflects on the show’s move to HBO (The Hollywood Reporter)
- Amazon is primed to take on Netflix in Japan (Variety)
- This self-published book, which claims to put kids instantly to sleep, becomes a best-seller (Publishers Weekly)
- Kids fashion means big bucks on Instagram, where trendsetting tots double as brand reps (News.com.au)