Featured iKids / iKIDS / MOBILE / SOCIAL / TV / WEB
With a cool US$19 million in new year-one Ready to Learn funding from the US Department of Education, PBS KIDS and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) are turning their attention to science-based, multiplatform content development. PBS KIDS’ Sara DeWitt and CPB’s Debra Sanchez reveal more to iKids.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS / TV
In a deal worth US$212 million, Entertainment One has taken a 70% controlling stake in London-based animation studio Astley Baker Davies, creator of the billion-dollar Peppa Pig property.
Featured iKids / GEAR / iKIDS / TV
“We wanted to creatively have our muscles ready for VR when it does take off tremendously,” says Cartoon Network Digital’s VP Chris Waldron, one of the forces behind the net’s ambitious new Adventure Time project that’s taking a first step in the impending virtual reality race.
- Status update: Why young teens are compelled to check social media updates 100 times a day (CNN)
- Europe’s highest court has declared the data-transfer agreement between the US and the EU immediately invalid, and the implications are big (The New York Times)
- Meanwhile, Google’s Android is battling an important antitrust case in Russia (Re/code )
- Marketers take note of the power of emojis (Adweek)
American Greetings Properties has changed its name to American Greetings Entertainment to emphasize the company’s focus on Care Bears and the development of other multiplatform characters and entertainment IPs.
A week after taking a controlling stake in Astley Baker Davies, eOne has added five new licenses to the robust Peppa Pig program. while master toy licensee Jazwares has extended its product range to include construction sets for the US and Canada.
Discovery Kids has joined forces with Oscar-winner Juan Jose Campanella’s animation studio Mundoloco CGI, as well as with Cris Morena Group, to develop three animated series, including an adaptation of the popular feature film Underdogs.
Multiplatform game Mech Mice is being turned into an animated action-comedy series, following a co-production partnership between Corus Entertainment’s Nelvana, Oktobor Animation and Playmates Toys.
The partnership will allow the MCN-turned-media company to take its youth-targeted content into new markets, including the UK, France and Germany.
Two new seasons of Olly the Little Whit Van have been commissioned, and the brand will look to extend its global reach, thanks to a deal brokered Fandango Productions.
- There’s no time like the present for YouNow, as the live social network raises US$15 million in new funding (TechCrunch)
- In the UK, Lego Dimensions’ debut outsells the first weeks of Skylanders Superchargers and Disney Infinity 3.0 (Forbes)
- How technology is bringing TV back to its social roots (The New York Times)
- Why Amazon stopped selling Apple TV and Chromecast devices (Variety)