As parents prepare to deck the halls and stuff stockings, US market research firm The NPD Group has unveiled its list of anticipated holiday bestsellers.
Based on the fastest-selling toys in September, and in line with recent toy lists from Target, Toys “R” Us, Walmart, Kmart and Amazon, NPD predicts that interactive playthings and collectibles—like MGA Entertainment’s L.O.L. Suprise! line and Hatchimals Pengualas Pink Egg Assortment—will be holiday must-haves in 2017.
In fact, data from the firm shows that lower-priced toys drove year-to-date growth through September 2017, and sales of toys priced under US$5 increased by 7% in the first nine months of this year. It’s possible that, despite the risk of popular toys selling out, customers may hold off on making purchases in anticipation of better bargains. NPD data from December 2016 shows that many consumers waited until the week before Christmas to do their holiday shopping.
NPD’s complete Top 10 list includes:
1. L.O.L. Surprise! Doll Assortment (MGA Entertainment)
2. Fingerlings Monkey Assortment (WowWee)
3. L.O.L. Surprise! Lil Sister Assortment (MGA Entertainment)
4. Barbie Dream House Playset (Mattel)
5. Hovertrax 2.0 (Razor)
6. Hatchimals Pengualas Pink Egg Assortment (Spin Master)
7. Hot Wheels Singles 1:64 Assortment (Mattel)
8. L.O.L. Surprise! Big Surprise Ball (MGA Entertainment)
9. Star Wars App Enabled R2-D2 (Sphero)
10. Star Wars E7 Black Series 6″ Assortment (Hasbro)