eOne rejects ITV takeover proposal

The Canadian producer and distributor has declined UK broadcaster ITV's US$1.3-billion offer.
August 10, 2016

Confirming rumors from earlier this spring that ITV was interested in acquiring Entertainment One, news emerged today that eOne has rejected a takeover bid by the UK producer-broadcaster.

In a statement released Wednesday, ITV confirmed it had made a proposal to the board of eOne to acquire the company for £1.03 billion (US$1.3 billion).

In a note to shareholders explaining the rejection of the bid, eOne said the proposal “fundamentally undervalues the company and its prospects.”

The Canadian media company—home to the billion-dollar Peppa Pig brand—saw its shares jumped overnight, and as of press time, they were trading at more than 237 pence per share (US$3.08).

In its response to the rejection, ITV stated that the proposal “represents a significant premium over the undisturbed eOne share price, prior to the impact of recent bid speculation.” The company used the opportunity to emphasize its growth strategy, which it says is focusing on international distribution opportunities and US scripted content, both of which eOne is particularly strong in, especially following its 2015 acquisition of a majority stake in the L.A.-based Mark Gordon Company

From Playback

About The Author

Search

Menu

Brand Menu