In light of the success of its first co-production Bakugan and the property’s related playthings, Toronto, Canada’s Spin Master looks like it’s ready to delve headlong into the world of production. It’s setting up a new entertainment division and is currently seeking a Director of Content Development to lead the charge.
The toyco is remaining tight-lipped about its plans for the time being, and would not comment on the scope of the new venture. However, it has posted the following on a Canadian job search site and has given KidScreen Daily the OK to introduce it to our readers. If this looks like an appealing opportunity, resumé submission and contact details are below.
Director of Content Development
Location: Toronto, Canada
A multi-category children’s entertainment company since 1994, Spin Master designs, develops, manufactures and markets consumer products for children around the world and is recognized as one of the 5th largest and the fastest growing toy companies in North America. Although Spin Master has successfully transformed itself from a small toy company into a large children’s entertainment company, it continues to be driven by the spirit in which the company was founded – great ideas and great play!
As part of our continued growth, we have recently established an entertainment division focused on the development, production, distribution and marketing of innovative children’s media including movies, cartoons and web content.
We are seeking a Director of Content Development to anchor the development slate for our entertainment division at our headquarters in Toronto, Canada. This position requires strong writing skills, great instinct for telling stories that will have international appeal, general knowledge of television and interactive audience trends and a thirst for innovation. You’ll need to be an alchemist, turning what seem to be average ideas or images into magic, so passion and inventiveness is critical. It’s important that this candidate be able to be a self-motivated champion of ideas, and look beyond conventional sources for new ideas that would translate into compelling content and global entertainment.
• Manage company’s development slate by sourcing, evaluating, and developing new projects for television, web and mobile
• Write marketing and promotional copy for sales agents and websites
• Write pitches and extended treatments to attract interest from broadcasters, funding agencies, web portals, and advertisers and subsequently guiding projects through to greenlight
• Organize regular creative brainstorming sessions for TV and interactive teams
• Liaise with toy division and Spin Master Interactive Studios for brand initiatives and content ideas
• Attend industry markets and conferences as required
• Build new, and maintain existing, relationships with broadcasters, writers, creators, publishers and distributors
• Have extensive budget and project management experience
• Aggressive, motivated, objective, and collaborative
• Have a minimum of 3 years experience in a similar role
• University Degree preferred
• Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Core competencies include but are required but not limited to
• Shows Initiative/Entrepreneurial Spirit
• Assertive and Tenacious
• Organization/Planning and Self Awareness
• Written/Oral Communication
Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits are provided. Interested candidates should send their resumes to email@example.com. Please indicate ‘Director, Content Development,’ in the subject line.
Application Deadline: OPEN