It looks like Santa has left another lump of coal in the toy industry’s collective stocking as its busiest sales season approaches. Toronto, Canada-based toyco Spin Master has issued a voluntary North American-wide recall on 4.2 million units of Aqua Dots, after receiving reports that the coating found on some of the toy beads mimics the drug GHB once ingested.
Spin Master announced the voluntary recall after receiving notification yesterday from producer Moose Enterprises that there was an Australian recall of a similar product, Bindeez, and confirmation of two US cases where children suffered the toxic effects of the product after eating a substantial number of the beads. According to Spin Master, more than two-thirds of the 4.2 million units in question have not reached retailers’ shelves.
The Aqua Dots craft kit allows children to create designs using beads that fuse together when sprayed with water. Produced by Moose and manufactured in China, the craft kits are distributed in North America by Spin Master. The kits hit mass retail around the world in April and sold for between US$17 to US$30 and are targeted at children four years and up.
Consumers are asked to keep the recalled toys away from children, and to contact Spin Master to return them for free replacements or toys of equal value.