As a result of. . . nothing as far as we can tell, Shari Lewis’s Lamb Chop and licensor Golden Books Family Entertainment have made a massive move in Japan.
‘It’s strictly based on the appeal of the character, not because there’s a major media push behind it,’ says Gary Hymowitz, VP of licensing for GBFE.
C’mon, not even a feature film or current TV series to help explain 25-plus Japanese licensees? (Let alone some of the products themselves. . . )
* Contact lens cases (for both hard and soft lenses!)
* Bento box with Lamb Chop chopsticks
* A screen saver for mobile phones
* A holder to put the mobile phone in
* PLUS, Coca-Cola just finished a three-month promotion for strawberry Coke. It’s a new beverage with Lamb Chop as spokespuppet for around 60 million cans and bottles, only in Japan.
‘American children’s characters are doing very well in the teen/tween market in Japan, and Lamb Chop gear is a kitschy, fun thing for girls 13 and up. . . a really cute soft element that seems to be popular there.’ Gary Hymowitz