News

New toon fest turns the spotlight on kids

Big-name sponsors Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Noggin are gearing up to help New-York based Unbound Studios and Philidelphia's Art and Animation Studios launch the world's first kids animation festival in the U.S. next fall. A full 30% of the toons showcased...
January 1, 2000

Big-name sponsors Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Noggin are gearing up to help New-York based Unbound Studios and Philidelphia’s Art and Animation Studios launch the world’s first kids animation festival in the U.S. next fall. A full 30% of the toons showcased at The Philadelphia International Kids Animation Festival will be created by kids around the world, while the remaining 70%, originating from international indie animators and studios, will be judged by kid juries.

Running from September 28 to October 1, 2000, the festival features a storyboard competition in which three U.S. kids and one international child will win a chance to see their toons on the big screen. Toronto-based Cuppa Coffee Animation has volunteered to be one of the studios turning the winning kid concepts into animated shorts, to be shown in The Franklin Institute’s IMAX theater on the festival’s opening night. Broadcast and Web rights will also be negotiated for the four winning shorts. John Serpentelli, director of the festival, says plans are underway for a well-known animator to host the event, and interactive workshops for kids on animation techniques like puppet-making and 2-D rendering will also be available. The goal of the festival is to teach people more about the science of animation, making it a launching mechanism for new ideas, as well as a learning tool for the animation trade.

About The Author

Menu

Brand Menu